Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Why the future is scary

I just turned on my TV.  "We Bought A Zoo" is on.  I'm thinking, this is probably a decent movie.  I seem to remember that it got good reviews, and it's got Matt Damon, who is usually in good movies.

It's certainly not the best movie that I could be watching right now.  I have a list of movies that I absolutely need to watch, and it's not on that list.  So if I were operating like a computer might operate, I would find the most important movie to watch and watch it right now.  And then, next time I had enough free time to watch a movie, I'd watch the next most important movie on that list.  And so on.

But here's the paradox: if I did that, I absolutely would not be able to appreciate the movies that I watched.  My great-movie receptors would be too saturated and I wouldn't even care any more.

To appreciate things, you've got to cleanse the palate and get back to a neutral state.  You need to have non-peak experiences in order to have peak experiences.  But I don't think most people appreciate this.

People claim that they want "the best of everything".  You would get NO satisfaction from that.  You need to experience average for a long time to reset your good-receptors, so you can appreciate great.

What worries me is that we're going to have access to so much instant-satisfaction stimulation in the future, and we won't know how to deal with it.  We'll think that constantly bombarding ourselves with the best movies, TV shows, food, youtube videos, etc. will make us happy.  And when it doesn't we'll think there's something wrong with us.